Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Angst of a Great Mind


It’s time to get deep, y’all. Grab a lifejacket.

Last week, I had a BBM conversation with one of my friends that really made me think about the direction in which my life is headed.

I was complaining to him about how I hate my job, and to be frank, working in general. He asked me what I’d rather be doing, to which I responded:

“Honestly, the only thing I really want to do in life is to rule an African country. I’m just not sure what courses one takes in grad school to become a dictator.”

We both LOLed.

He then asked me if I really wanted to be a leader, or if I just wanted the title. I told him that it was a mixture of both; I know I’m far too great to be ordinary (peep the blog title), and I have a lot of great ideas that could take Africa to the next level, but I just need someone to give me a country first. My friend then replied something that screeched my Crimson and Cream painted power train to grinding halt:

“That’s often the angst a great mind feels; being restless. But what ARE you going to do about it?”

I really didn’t know how to answer that question. I was at a loss for words. And those who know me can tell you that doesn’t happen very often. At all.

In the days of my youth, as I transitioned from a cute and cuddly young lass to a bodacious teenage vixen, my focus continuously shifted. I went through phases of wanting to be a doctor, lawyer, psychologist, hair dresser, and chef, just to name a few. In college, I finally settled on being an economics major, but I didn’t really know what I wanted to with my degree. Now that I’ve graduated and have somewhat started my journey into the real world, I can honestly say that I still have absolutely no clue as to what I’m doing with my life.

But through all the different paths I’ve pursued during my relatively short tenure on this earth, the one thing that has remained constant is that feeling of restlessness.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think I’m lost.

So when my friend posed that question to me, I realized that I need to do something about it. Time is, as you Americans say, a-ticking. I’m certainly not getting any younger, and at this crossroads of my life, I must start laying the right foundation ASAPtually if I want money, power and respect by the age of 35.

But what ARE you going to do about it?

Good question.

After some contemplative meditation (which, for me, consisted of a nap and an Entourage marathon), I came to a few simple conclusions.

The first thing I obviously need to do is go to grad school. Nobody is going to let me rule any type of country with just one rinky-dink bachelor’s degree, no matter what institution I attended (SN: shoutout to Boston College!).

The second and far more difficult thing I must do is to expand my network. Now that there are all these dictator overthrows in the Middle East and North Africa, there has to be some new membership openings in the world dictator network! The slight problem with that is there aren’t too many female dictators out there, not to mention the fact that I don’t really know any dictators that could actually vouch for me, so I might have to get my thug status up some more before I think about infiltrating the system.

Or I might have to broaden my horizons a bit and network with people in a similar field, maybe a few military generals or senators.

Or presidents. #nbd

So if any of y’all know anyone in those fields, holla at a pimp.

As far as the rest of the world domination plan, those details are still a bit hazy. But I do know that however I decide to go about it, I will certainly be successful.

After all, I’m the Extraordinaire. Success is my only option.

-The Extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment